Friday, May 29, 2020

Baguio Tourism Loses P1.46-B During Quarantine

Baguio Tourism Loses P1.46-B During Quarantine

Spotlight

Phoenix Gas Starts Supplying Gas-Powered Gensets

Phoenix, in partnership with US-based Mesa Natural Gas Solutions, LLC, is expected to bring the first batch of its gas-powered genset units in the Philippines next month.

Celebrities And Influencers Join Love Plus Charity Foundation

These celebrities and influencers have stepped up and maximized their privilege by helping out during the COVID-19 pandemic.

DOTr Reiterates PUV Transport Protocols Under MECQ, GCQ

Department of Transportation reminds the public to follow the imposed health and safety guidelines for public transportation to prevent transmission of COVID-19.

SM Net Income At PHP9.0 Billion In Q1

SM Investments Corporation reports its first quarter net income stood at PHP9.0 billion, lower by 16% than the previous year, partially due to the ECQ.

The tourism industry which should have been at its peak this time of the year has lost PHP1.46 billion, the Baguio Tourism Office reported on Thursday.

In his Baguio Tourism Resiliency and Recovery Plan report to Mayor Benjamin Magalong, tourism officer Aloysius Mapalo said based on the tourism arrivals of last year where 540,373 tourists came in from February to May, the tourism industry has lost PHP1.46 billion based on a PHP2,700 per person per day expenditure.

He told Philippine News Agency “that could be an estimated expenditure of tourists that did not come in the city this year. Consider that minimum since as mentioned, other tourists are not accounted for.”

But he said the city may have suffered more financially, as the figures are only estimates and based on data available from the above-ground economy. Many tourism-related jobs and establishments, including those transacting online, are actually underground and are also greatly affected.

“That means the actual economic impact is greater than what is estimated,” Mapalo said.

Mapalo said the figures were based on the number collated from 299 hotels during the period, which was the Panagbenga season that was expected to attract more tourists due to added festivity like the Ipitik festival where crowd drawing activities were supposed to be staged.

The 25th staging of the Panagbenga was supposed to be the biggest in years that even the Ipitik, which was last staged eight years ago came out with a week-long event at the Igorot Park that was expected to draw big crowds.

But all of Panagbenga’s crowd-drawing events were postponed and later canceled when the city was put under an enhanced community quarantine last March 17.

Mapalo said that tourists will not be coming to Baguio since the period from June to August, the number levels were down.

He said that local tourists may come in soon.

Citing Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Bernadette Puyat, Mapalo said that the city will not expect foreign tourist arrival any time soon.

The DOT, he said, has “already forecasted that foreign travel may still be difficult until next year. So, it is not expected that we’ll have foreign tourists soon.”

He said that Baguio will depend on local tourists but not this soon as the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic has not been controlled yet.

“At the soonest, we can rely at least on domestic tourists, but not perhaps until towards the end of the year. Our optimistic projection is by September or October,” he said.

With hotels and restaurants closed the past two months, some 4,000 employees have been affected, but then that does not include those who work for online booking, those who provide for tours, among others.

He said that the recovery plan that his office and the Baguio Tourism Council came out with where effective crisis management has been adopted.

The programs proposed include the launching of an online tour of parks, museums, galleries, the staging of seminars, and workshops for sustainable tourism where learning from the crisis will be given emphasis and help tourism practitioners to recover.

Mapalo said that activities from barangays to the local government unit must be implemented to help draw tourists back like a tribute to front-liners, thanksgiving ritual, and program, small group festivities, National Flag Day on May 28, Independence Day on June 12 and town hall sessions, among others.

Other programs include “Akyat Na” for tourists and students which will be staged on September during Baguio’s charter day and will go full blast on November or December; and programs that will be staged for 2021 like the HoHoHo Tourist Transport on January 2021, the “New Panagbenga” on February and the Baguio Summer Blast from March until end of May.

The plan sees a gradual opening of the tourism sector that will also consider the city’s gradual opening of all sectors from transportation, service sector, food, training and learning, events, culture and creatives, souvenir, amusement, tour, and accommodations.

The tourism plan said that “all the above proposals will be subject to national and local government directives and order.”

It will also follow the “strict guidelines per sector (which) shall be established that will be implementable for each phase and up to two years, providing standard practice and procedures for the ‘new normal.’” (PNA)

Photo Source: PNA/Pigeon Lobien

Latest News

Sen. Gatchalian: CBMS Law To Correct Inefficiencies In SAP Distribution

Gatchalian has urged the government to use the Community-Based Monitoring System (CBMS) Act to ensure efficient distribution of the Social Amelioration Program (SAP).

Mayor Joy To Strictly Implement Order On Wearing Of Face Masks In Public Places

Belmonte urges the public to wear face masks in public places following the study that universal masking flattens the curve significantly more than maintaining a strict lockdown.

Spox Roque: DepEd Ready For School Opening In August

Malacañang has expressed confidence that the Department of Education (DepEd) is ready for the scheduled opening of classes on August 24 despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

GrabCar Doubles-Down On Safety And Hygiene Standards With GrabProtect

GrabCar has released a set of guidelines for its passengers for the continuous enforcement of higher safety and hygiene standards for public transport in the country.

Home Cooks To Shine In Metro Channel’s Newest TV Show “Potluck”

“Potluck” is open to all home cooks at least 20 years old who would like to share their own recipes—from classic Pinoy favorites to fusion food and even quarantine-inspired treats and desserts! Read more of the mechanics here:

Gov. Defensor Jr.: Iloilo Is Now Preparing For MGCQ

Iloilo Province is already adjusting quarantine guidelines as its general community quarantine (GCQ) will end on May 31.

Surigao Sur Tribal Leaders Laud Progress Of School Construction

Manobo tribal leaders in the Surigao del Sur town of Lianga have commended the continuing progress of the construction of the indigenous people (IP) school in Sitio Simuwao, Barangay Diatagon.

Pres. Duterte Eases Community Quarantine Status

PRRD has placed the rest of the country under modified general community quarantine effective June 1.

Angelicum School Iloilo To Stop Operations On July

Angelicum School Iloilo announces suspension of operations starting July 31, 2020.

Lesha’s ‘Ciao, Bella’ Receives Solid Support Across Asia

Have you listened to this "Money Heist" inspired track yet?