‘The Ripple’ Podcast To Feature Ben&Ben, Moira, SB19, And More

This Monday, The Ripple podcast welcomes a lineup of music icons including Moira Dela Torre and SB19.

‘My Love Will Make You Disappear’ Makes PHP40 Million In Four Days

In its opening weekend, "My Love Will Make You Disappear" takes the box office by storm, earning PHP40 million.

DBM: Infra Spending Reaches PHP1.545 Trillion In 2024

Ang imprastraktura ng bansa ay umabot sa PHP1.545 trilyon sa 2024, nagpakita ng pagtaas na 8.9 porsyento mula sa nakaraang taon.

DSWD Uses Holistic Approach To Address Gender-Based Violence

DSWD patuloy na nagbibigay ng komprehensibong programa upang suportahan ang mga biktima at perpetrator ng karahasan batay sa kasarian.

Cost Of Drought Toll On Albay, Masbate Agriculture Now At PHP171 Million

Umabot na sa hindi bababa sa PHP171 milyon ang pinsalang dulot ng El Niño sa agrikultura sa dalawang probinsya sa Bicol, ayon sa regional Department of Agriculture office.


By The Philippine Post

Cost Of Drought Toll On Albay, Masbate Agriculture Now At PHP171 Million

3030
3030

How do you feel about this story?

Like
Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry

Damage to agriculture directly attributed to the El Niño phenomenon has now amounted to at least PHP171 million in only two provinces in Bicol, an official of the regional Department of Agriculture (DA) office said Thursday.

The province of Masbate incurred the biggest losses so far at PHP140.6 million while Albay farmers lost PHP30.4 million, Lovella Guarin, DA-Bicol’s public information officer, said in an interview.

Other provinces have yet to submit their damage report to the agriculture office, she said.

Data furnished to the Philippine News Agency (PNA) showed that the provinces of Albay and Masbate alone had a total of 6,561.72 hectares of rice farmlands affected by the drought, 2,300 hectares of which had no more chance of recovery.

Guarin said the impacted farmlands would have a total production loss of about 8,000.53 metric tons.

The losses had affected at least 3,070 farmers in the towns of Placer, Dimasalang, San Pascual, Milagros, Cawayan and Esperanza in Masbate; and 4,059 farmers in the municipalities of Libon and Pio Duran in Albay province for a total of 7,129 farmers, the DA official said.

On Jan. 19, President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. signed Executive Order (EO) No. 53 to streamline, reactivate and reconstitute the old El Niño task forces under EO No. 16 (s. 2001) and Memorandum Order No. 38 (s. 2019).

Under EO No. 53, the President instructed the task force to develop a comprehensive disaster preparedness and rehabilitation plan for El Niño and La Niña to provide “systematic, holistic, and results-driven interventions” to help the public cope and minimize their devastating effects.

Meanwhile, some 1,047 hectares of farmlands in the region planted to corn and rice had been affected by various pests, the DA-Bicol’s Regional Crops Protection Center (RCPC) disclosed.

Based on the RCPC monitoring, the majority of the infested rice and corn farms were either in the vegetative or reproductive stages.

Among the pests that had sown terror on the farmlands were bacterial leaf blight, fall armyworms, stem borers, corn plant hoppers, brown plant hoppers and rodents.

“The regional agriculture office had extended assistance to the affected farmers by way of biological control agents if the infestation was still manageable and chemical pesticides if already in the advanced stage,” Guarin said. (PNA)